As a mission, keeping kids safe is our foremost priority. All trip leaders have been trained in travel safety and cultural intelligence as well as undergone a background check. Young Life takes great care in monitoring our international ministry fields, to support our missionary and national staff and to assess the risks assumed by any of our Expeditions.
The following is a list of policy points that we take into consideration when determining the safety of our foreign fields as they pertain to US travelers and our willingness as a mission to sponsor official travel to these countries through Young Life Expeditions. For further information or questions, please contact our office.
- Young Life Expeditions provides a Complimentary Security Assistance Services Plan and a Complimentary Group Assured Plan; both paid and provided by Young Life Expeditions to all eligible travelers, as part of traveling and serving with Young Life Expeditions. Please click here for the product flyer. Please note this coverage is only for while you are traveling and serving with Young Life Expeditions. It is not pre-trip cancellation coverage and does not extend for personal travel.
- The 360° Group Assured Plan includes coverage for Trip Interruption, Trip Delay, Emergency Medical Expenses, Baggage Delay and Travel Assistance & Concierge Services. Please click here for the Description of Coverage which provies a summary of the plan details on benefits, coverages, limitations and exclusions on the insurance plan.
- Please note: This complimentary plan does not provide Pre-Trip Cancellation coverage. If you're interested in purchasing Pre-Trip Cancellation coverage, we offer the optional Assured Plan Plus that works in conjunction with the Assured Plan. Please contact the Expeditions office to get a price quote based on your trip cost and to purchase this coverage. You can click here for the Description of Coverage which provides a summary of the plan details on benefits, coverages, limitations, and exclusions of the insurance plan. Travel Insurance is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Colombus, OH: NAIC #10952
- The Security Assistance Services plan includes coverage for Political and Natural Disaster Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation, Safe Haven, and Return Airfare. Servies are provided by On Call International. The Description of Coverage is linked here for the Security Assistance Services Plan.
- Prior to approving travel to a particular Young Life International field, we will consult with the respective
Young Life vice president, regional director, national director and national staff, as well as other consultants knowledgeable about that destination regarding safety and risk issues. One of our Expeditions staff or one of the aforementioned supervisors will make a site visit to the host
country and service location(s).
- We carefully review and monitor the
U.S. State Department Travel
Alerts and Warnings posted
on their main website, www.travel.state.gov.
- Young Life International contracts with an international travel organization called International SOS, www.internationalsos.com, which monitors current affairs in each country around the world. Young Life strictly
adheres to ISOS’s safety rating protocol and recommendations. ISOS provides
information on varying travel safety factors in each country including
political and medical risk ratings. Also,
Expeditions staff always remain in close contact with the national staff and
senior leadership of the various countries where Young Life Expeditions sends
- Expeditions serving on international fields will always be accompanied and chaperoned by our local
staff who know the country best; the roads, places to avoid (if any), best times to travel,
safest lodging facilities,
- Expeditions will always use private or pre-arranged trusted transportation while within their host country. Expedition participants will not travel alone while abroad, but will be escorted by staff or trusted
volunteers. All Expeditions will be picked
up and returned to airports by private and/or trusted transportation and will
always be with our
local Young Life
staff or volunteers.
- Expeditions will only lodge at facilities well-known and trusted by our U.S. and national
- The Expeditions staff will always provide trip leaders contact information for the local hosting staff well ahead of the team’s trip. The trip leader can then pass this information on to parents,
friends, church or Young Life staff who might like to monitor and track the team while they are serving overseas. Additionally, our U.S. Expeditions coordinating staff can always be reached via email or phone throughout the duration of
a team’s travel.